Monday, April 04, 2005

Convenience Rules!

Hi,

Monday mornings have a universal idiosyncratic character. Most people I have met atleast acknowledge it to be a significant part of the week. Probably next only to Saturday night.

My musings since the morning continue from last night, when I was just wondering lying down in my bed as to whats become the definitive aspect of many interactions and relationships. In so much as we can despise it, I do think convenience has become a ruling philosophy for most of us. I am probably more guilty than the many people I know. The only shred of respect that I can salvage for myself is that I am usually concious of being convenient and try not to let it get under my skin.

Convenience manifests itself in many different forms. Be it inconsistency of thought and commitment, giving small excuses for escaping simple confrontations, doing what one feels without thinking through or just plain old laziness. I am not quite sure if the many manifestations differ in their relevance and impact, but I do think that the inconsistency of thought and action is quite serious. I think as mature individuals and this I attribute to every person out of university, is fully capable of being consistent between thoughts and action.

Hmm. . something more close to us is how convenience manifests itself in relationships. Work relationships, friendships, partners etc. . - Work relationships tend to be at the better end many times simply because of the convenience of formality. This conundrum is further aggravated when people dont keep up with their commitments even at work. Friendships are so valuable - most of us choose them carefully, either by design or intent. And yet, often times we lose them to convenience.

There probably is one solution to be equanimous with this conflict. And that is to acknowledge it - and not just by yourself. Acknowledge it explicitly with people. And we probably will do well just not to be convenient about this :)

I love the human mind, it is capable of so much complexity.


Have a good week ahead!
Satish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home