Friday, January 13, 2006

Rains in Singapore and Cliches!

Hi,

The sky in Singapore has cleared today for the first time in about a week, the longest period of rains I have seen here. The weather has been depressing for most people, although I think the temperature coming down is such a welcome feeling. Not to forget that the water running it taps feels a lot colder now, and just reminds me of winters, the mild ones in India and the freezing one in Denmark I experienced last year. Hmm. . all in all, things have been different from the routine, and ma sure some couples would have found it delightful to have lush greens everywhere, just creating a spectre of freshness and a rejuvenated earth (whatever is left besides the concrete and tar).

All this thought about the weather (the most simple topic to talk about over long distance - not sure if its the most popular) coincides with the other chain of thought I am having. That of "cliches". Over the last 10-12 years, the genuinely concious part of my life, I have developed a bias against them. Maybe in themelves they are ok, but its just how much we abuse them in daily life. We use these generic statements to decide our course of action, and worse, recommend it to others. I know at times its just about the only thing we can say, but to say it in the 'form' of a cliche just defeats the substance and purpose of what is said. The bad part really is that we just say it so casually and conveniently. Like saying "Sorry". I am sure all of us use it atleast 10 times a day. This one has come to be more a figure of speech, but I just hope that there arent many more like it. Else conversations would become a picking and choosing of cliches rather than actual original thoughts.

Want to write so much more about this, but I think my coherence will be lost in the quagmire of multiple perspectives. So I will rest the case for now, probably convinced that you would have given it a fair thought, and if I were to be optimistic, evaluated your perspective on using cliches.

TGIF!
Satish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home