Sunday, April 10, 2005

Lemon Tree

Hi,

Feel connected with this song. Infact, it has been so for a very long time now. And just when I think back, I relate to song now as much as I did about 8 years back when I fist heard it. I wonder how, I wonder why . . . :)

Am sitting here in a big empty canteen at the university. And feeling good about it. Am trying to work hard at the strategy presentation due tomorrow. Interestingly enough, am trying to think of making the presentation controversial enough to draw attention and thereby try to convey the import my group drew from a fair bit of discussion. The MBA is an intersting line of education for exactly this. It pushes you to think hard, and yet keeps you on the ground by making you work with other people and make peace with their rationale and approaches to solutions.

Just read an interview of Mintzberg, who claims that teaching business education to young people who have never managed is dysfunctional. I disagree. The point is that most of us end up managing something or the other. Its how clear and concious a erpson thinks about what he is doing. For a long time now, I have believed that my mom is a brilliant manager. She is a teacher by profession, but I think she is a fantastic manager in her mind. If she had the slightest ambition to manage a business, then the MBA would be a wonderful thing to go through. And wonderfully enough, Mr. Mintzberg continues to teach management education at the McGill university and the media has been sweet enough to bestow the title of a 'management guru' on him.

Hmm. . I think I didn't learn to manage at the business school. But I certainly got equipped with a lot more perspective that will help me manage. And more importantly it gives me the confidence to go out there and do new things at new places. One of the most important things I have learnt at the program, is to learn how to leverage on other people's talents and intelligence. And there is not better satisfaction when you have done that, and people feel good about the accomplishment of the team.

I rest my argument on this one. Still have a few weeks upto graduation day, so just want to have as much fun as possible.

till the next one. . .

hv fun,
satish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home