Monday, May 30, 2005

Back to Business - First day at work!

Hi there,

Apologies to the occasional reader who might have waited for the second instalment of the Korea trip update. Just didnt get more time to stand (at the hotel's computer terminal)and type out a blog. Nevertheless, cannot claim that i didnt have time since then. A leisurely vacation to India should have given me ample opportunities to write, but th e heat just consumed so much of me, that I just couldnt do anything remotely associated with leisure except sleeping :)

Neways, onto more current news. Joined my work today and feel relatively disassociated with the big change in days that one will live with. Work generally is from 8.30 to 5.30, but today being the first day was an exception, and I had to reach only at 9. Although as I found out, the Singaporean time doesnt coincide with the German, and Indonesian times still remains behind Singaporean.

As can be expected of any big firm, my orientation (i think they call it that) coincided with that of 3 others and it included an office tour (spread across 4 non-consecutive floors in the building), an IT briefing (notebook handover) and an introduction with the division secretary (handing over of telephone pin and stationery). Hmm. . but in all fairness, they manged to rectify my funny looking email id to somehting more like my name. So I am a happy employee now.

My first email was given to me as a printout (since the email change had restricted my computer access) and it asked me go to a client meeting, which was exciting. very interesting project, so I have some work to do for the next couple of days i guess.
Other than that, managed to remember some of the names from the division, thanks to our lunch excursion. Was amazed that the lunch party ended up with about 12-14 of us.

Was disappointed with the non-availability of fresh coffee in the office, but the hordes of the coffee shops around my office building should make up for that. Even though one will end up payign for that. But coffee will mean some exercise at least then.

So those are the mundane details of my first days. The more interesting details in terms of the people and politics are difficult to describe since I havent too much of an idea myself. But liked the idea of hot-desking at the office, somethign I havent been used to. I have always thought I am more conservative with systems, so like the idea of a fixed space to keep my papers and small office belongings. Anyways, it just reminded me I was here for the work and not office space ;-)

Guess thats as much as one can bear to listen. But one last comment, I think a good workplace is one which makes you want to come back the next day and find out more things. I am feeling that today, so guess I liked it.

for now . . .
cheers,
satish

2 Comments:

Blogger Ram C said...

hi, first time here satish..thru Kaps blog.. So, we will meet this Sunday. Just hv an idea, as to who I am, by visiting my blog.

11:56 AM  
Blogger maverick said...

dude,
you have been book tagged...to find out more:
http://freewheelin.blogspot.com/2005/06/book-tagged.html

cheers
dips

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home